2024 SageHill Lambing (the newbie joins in)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Triplets!
Our first ever triplets! Two ewes one ram. Brown with a few appy spots is a ewe!
The early lambing season 2024 comes to an end in a wonderful way.
IMG_4539.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Make sure she is feeding all of them. Pick up lamb, stick finger in mouth. Warm=good. Cold=dying.
Cold mouth, warm up fast. Do not feed a warm bottle. If lamb is cold, it can’t digest the milk and it will die. Ask me how I know. 😕
I use a hair dryer and a box, covered with a towel. Hole in one end to poke hair dryer through, hole in other end to poke lambs head through so you don’t scorch its little lungs with hot air. Check often. Like constantly!

Or you can plunge lamb in warm to mildly hot water to warm it up. Check mouth. Dry with towel and wrap it up.

Formula
1 gallon whole milk
1 cup cultured buttermilk
1 can evaporated milk

Pour out 3 cups milk, save.
Pour in buttermilk and evaporated milk
Top off with reserved milk.

@Mike CHS and Teresa only pull a lamb if it’s very weak. They have 6, or is it 7? Sets of triplets! They do well supplementing with a bottle, but leaving lambs with Mom.

So Triplet Expert, got any more advice for the new Triplet Lammy Grammy?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm just over the moon with this. I took weights on them:
white ram 8.4#
appy ewe 7.2#
white ewe 7.4#
The white ewe was doing ok - she was last born. Normal delivery (didn't see the first two born). She seemed a ~little slow to start walking and didn't stick with it as long as I would like. But comparing her to all the others born this year she was ok. Got them all up to the barn and into the lamb stall. Still thought she could do better. SOO I grabbed a syringe and milked out about 8cc of colostrum and gave it to her (oh and I'd checked her mouth - warm, sucking reflex good) after that she was great and all have nursed. This ewe has lambed twice before - twins and a single -- and she always has a huge udder. I'll definitely keep a close eye on all of them. LOL had DH put a second Blink camera in the lamb stall. I'll do a run over to the barn before bed time.