3 day old kid with scours

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a three day old kid with scours. They are yellowish and not as thin as water. Just noticed it last night. She still nurses but is not as active as her twin. I have spectroguard but it is 21 months past its expiration date. Would it still be okay to try? Is this something that will clear up on its own?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Problems to address can be VERY different if temp higher or lower than normal.

You could be looking at cocci, pneumonia, or...? Any kaopectate on hand? Might help symptom but not the causative problem. Depending on problem, other kid may be affected.

May be simply loose bowels. Again, temp is?

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I do not have kaopectate. What is it? Her temp is 102.1 so no fever. Isn't she a little too young for coccidiosis? Her sister does not have any noticeable scours. She (the kid we are talking about) has slight clear nasal discharge.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kao is like Pepto bismol. Just helps with occasional diarrhea. A people med. So yes young for cocci but. Runny nose isn't good. Weather changes can bring on issues with such young ones. Lethargy is a prerequisite for more problems, always. Keep watching temp. If it goes up, might have bronchial inflammation/ infection starting. On one so young, immediate treatment would be needed. 🤔. Let us know how she is this evening....respiratory issues progress fast.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Tonight when I checked on her it looks like she doesn't have scours anymore. Still has very slight clear nasal discharge. I gave her some Goat VetRx for her nose. She is definitely getting enough to eat. Maybe she just had a little too much to drink of her mother's rich milk.