Bottom of milk jar

asjwe23

Just born
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the raw goat milk world. I've noticed that there is always stuff stuck to the bottom of the jar. Is this normal? Everything I read made it seem like it's not. I thought maybe it was just getting old, but I just noticed it with milk that was only 1-2 days old. When I mentioned it to the farmer she just said she makes sure to give it a good shake before pouring. Since cream goes to the top I'm wondering what it is and if it's considered safe.

Attachments

• PXL_20230928_135456856.jpg
    PXL_20230928_135456856.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 51

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the raw goat milk world. I've noticed that there is always stuff stuck to the bottom of the jar. Is this normal? Everything I read made it seem like it's not. I thought maybe it was just getting old, but I just noticed it with milk that was only 1-2 days old. When I mentioned it to the farmer she just said she makes sure to give it a good shake before pouring. Since cream goes to the top I'm wondering what it is and if it's considered safe.
I don’t know what it is but I bet @Mini Horses does. Plus, if the person you bought the milk from doesn’t think it’s a problem, then she’s probably right.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's normal. The milk does separate. Just shake it up.😊 Raw milk acts a little different than pasteurized since it hasn't been "cooked" together. The goats milk will vary with amount of fats and solids based on their breed and feed. No worries there. 👍 enjoy.

During heavy milk season I often have several gal in my frig. After a week of sitting, I'll have cream at top that I spoon out, thick as sour cream. Delish! Sometimes I make butter. Do make a lot of cheese. The cream melts back into milk as it heats for cheese. 😁...or as I spoon into hot tea.

asjwe23

Just born
Reaction score
It's normal. The milk does separate. Just shake it up.😊 Raw milk acts a little different than pasteurized since it hasn't been "cooked" together. The goats milk will vary with amount of fats and solids based on their breed and feed. No worries there. 👍 enjoy.

During heavy milk season I often have several gal in my frig. After a week of sitting, I'll have cream at top that I spoon out, thick as sour cream. Delish! Sometimes I make butter. Do make a lot of cheese. The cream melts back into milk as it heats for cheese. 😁...or as I spoon into hot tea.
Thank you! Good to know. Just wanted to make sure since I'm giving it to my kids!

asjwe23

Just born
Reaction score

I get cream at the top but the stuff at the bottom isn't quite as bright white as what's in the bottom. Slightly yellow.