Constructing rabbit cage. Using 1/2"x1/2" for the flooring

MrRaccoon

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've got a new doe who just kindled yesterday. I wasn't expecting to have this doe, so I only had a small cage available. I built a nesting box before she kindled, but it takes up a ton of the cage space. She just barely has room to get down from the top platform of the nesting box.

So of course, I want to build a new cage for the happy little mother, but I don't have any 1"x1/2" wire for the bottom. I have wire for the top/sides, and I can buy 1/2"x1/2" wire locally. But I'd have to order in 1"x1/2" wire. I'd like to get her in a new cage quickly instead of waiting for shipping. On the other hand I don't want to have to tear down the cage and rebuild later if 1/2"x1/2" is too fine.

If I got 1/2" x 1/2" wire and used that for the flooring, would I regret it? This is a moderately sized doe (looks to be a New Zealand). What have people's experiences been with 1/2" x 1/2" wire flooring? Does a mature rabbit's droppings just get trapped in it, or does it work about as well as the 1"x1/2"

Cheers!

MrRaccoon

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on Lowes. I found one not too far from here that has what I needed. Holding it next to the hardware cloth, I see what you mean. Much better to use the heavier gauge.

MrRaccoon

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
On the weekend, I made a nice 2' x 4' maternity ward for the happy mother. Her kits are doing well, although with the cramped quarters of the previous cage, the doe left a fair amount of droppings in the nesting box. So it looks like time to change some bedding.

Latest posts