Doe with Toxemia/hypocalcemia

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a almost full boer doe who is almost a year and half. She is due to kid towards the end of this month or beginning of April. We do not know the exact date. She does not have a lot of energy and is lying down a lot. We gave her vitamin b paste, oral CKMP, and Niacin Energy Drench. We are giving her the energy drench twice daily and CKMP around every two hours. We are also drenching her with water although she sometimes still drinks water out of her pail. She still nibbles on her hay. She loves whole corn, but only picks/eats little of her molasses feed. She still gets up occasionally and walks with a weak gait around. It seems to take some effort for her to get up, but she still gets up on her own. She has a bony topline without much fat on it. When I press my hand into her lower stomach I can feel kids move, so they seem to be alive. Sometimes she seems to be pushing her kids, but that is only for a tiny while then she goes back to normal. Is it possible she is just positioning them more comfortably? She sometimes would grind her teeth. I tried to feel in her, but could only get half of my hand inside. Do goats open up this much two weeks or so before kidding? I am just worried that she would go into labor, need assistance, then close up without me knowing it. After last year I am worried and do not want to experience that again. She is a first time kidder. I would appreciate any comments, similar experiences, etc. Thank you!

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How do I know if she would need a c section? Or am I just overly nervous?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not a goat person so can't help much there... I would be careful of how much CMPK you are giving her though... I think maybe a vet conference call at least would be good at this point...

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We had the vet come out. He said she definitely had pregnancy toxemia. Her ketone levels were 4.1 and they are supposed to be about 1. He induced her so now we are waiting for her to kid.

She is still eating, drinking, and moving around.

How long does it take for dexamethasone to work. She has been pawing the ground, getting up and down, pushing, then taking a long break since eleven. We gave her the first shot yesterday about 7pm and we are going to give her another shortly. Should I try to go in and see if she needs help repositioning kids or is she still in the early stages of labor?