First Kidding and Lame Kid

The Chick Addict

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
I went out around 5:00 PM this evening to let my goats out to pasture. I heard a small cry and realized that my two does were looking at this small kid. I ran over and realized that my doe Willow had given birth. It seemed like the baby had been kidded around 2 or 3 hours before I came out. I believe it's a buck and it's very small but I suspect that is because my goats are Nigerian Dwarfs. He was trying to get up but I realized that his two hind legs seem to be lame. Willow seemed to have rejected him and wouldn't let him get near her so I had to tie her to the fence and after about 30 minutes she FINALLY let him drink. He drank for al little while, while I held him to her teats. I went out to buy some colostrum just in case she still gives us a hard time. I have him in the goat shed with a heating pad and blanket. Willow seems to have taken him back and she keeps licking him and making sure he's okay. He's so tiny and I'm afraid that he might not make it long but I'll be trying my best to keep him going. His back legs are lame which will probably make it more difficult though. Any ideas on how to help him out with that? I also noticed that she gave birth to twins as I found her second kid who was stuck in the afterbirth and passed away probably a long while after I went out. Also I wasn't able to put iodine on the umbilical cord area (which seemed to have been off completely, no blood or anything) so should I do that first thing tomorrow?

I tried to give Willow some warm water with molasses but she was too busy keeping an eye on the kid and didn't drink any. She seems fine but I just want to make sure she's okay, so any advice on that?

Thank in advance, any advice is appreciated!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
His back legs are lame which will probably make it more difficult though.
I'm sorry this is happening to your little guy.

When you say "lame" can you give us an idea of what he's able - or not able to do. Can he use them at all? Can he stand but just not walk, or not get up on his own? Pictures maybe?

The Chick Addict

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm sorry this is happening to your little guy.

When you say "lame" can you give us an idea of what he's able - or not able to do. Can he use them at all? Can he stand but just not walk, or not get up on his own? Pictures maybe?
Thanks for responding!

When I say "lame" I mean that he can't move his two hind legs from to where his thighs are down. He has been standing if we help him up, and he can stand by himself. He has been walking slightly by using his working front legs to pull himself while dragging his hind legs and slightly using his thighs to move them. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it!

The Chick Addict

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for responding!

When I say "lame" I mean that he can't move his two hind legs from to where his thighs are down. He has been standing if we help him up, and he can stand by himself. He has been walking slightly by using his working front legs to pull himself while dragging his hind legs and slightly using his thighs to move them. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it!
I also found that his mom, Willow, had leaked out some bloody liquid. It's been around 2 days since birth, so is this normal? I also found this little pink/orange pellet and I'm wondering what if it's poop or something else?
werd ellet.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You'll see bits of pink mucus for a couple weeks sometimes. As long as not a lot of real red blood and no odor, she's eating and moving well -- normal. If otherwise, check for infection, etc.

Their body is clearing out birthing tissue from uterus lining👍

The Chick Addict

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So here's an update:
Even though it seems like he can't move a few joints in his hind legs, he's using them to walk and has been walking around and running with his mom. We've helped him exercise his legs and he's finally able to move around! Thanks for all of y'alls help!