Hi Yall!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are btwn Ft Worth and Waco. We are not looking to get too crazy with cows... Just a few for meat, maybe milk. We talked today about donkeys for overwatch and pigs to add to the food chain. We're trying to plan well. We have lots of discussions before we pull the trigger on something. šŸ˜‚
Toss your ideas out here and we will give all kinds of advice. You pick and choose what fits and we congratulate you on a better ā€œeducatedā€ decision. LOL

On pigs, skip the cutesy little breeds. Also, donā€™t get breeding stock. Start with 2 feeder pigs. Have a buyer for the other one, having a partnership with family member or friend, split cost of feed, cost of processing. It will get your feet wet, so to speak.

Iā€™ll go find my Pig Palace posts.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here it is. Poor pigs had to live in the trailer a few weeksā€¦ā€¦ my usual way of doing things. Get them first, then figure out what to do with them. LOL I might add that this was a 8 acre farm my husband and I had in Lindale. He passed away, I sold it, moved to a rental, then found this 25 acres and moved again. I will at some point, build another Pig Palace, but need to put up a barn for sheep first. Dang it! Iā€™m trying to be responsible!

On cows, buy a steer and raise for the freezer. That will give you some ā€œcowā€ experience. Some cattle are batsh!t crazy no matter what you do and even a ā€œniceā€ cow can/will hurt you.

I have some friends who bought 28 acres and stocked it with everything they ever wanted. Overdid themselves and reality (me) is slapping them hard. So they are selling their Kune Kune pig, their 2 Dexter heifers, processing for the freezer the multitude of young rams, for the freezer and bucks too. They have narrowed it down to sheep and goats, chickens and a garden. They have learned a lot, but sure threw away a lot of time and money. I wish I could have met them a few years ago.

Basic message is donā€™t overload yourself.