Mini Breeds question!

Tori

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So I’ve been looking into all sorts of goat breeds lately trying to choose what breed is best for me and I’ve noticed that whenever people cross Nigerians with anything, they seem to be breeding for the smaller size and trying to create a mini version of the full sized goat…

Has anyone ever heard of someone doing basically the opposite haha? I really prefer the full sized goats and I think it would be awesome if someone tried to breed the Nigerians high butterfat content but into a full sized goat, instead of trying to create a mini.

I’m super new to goats so maybe I don’t understand goat genetics haha but to me the dream goat would be big like an alpine but with Nigerian milk and I guess I’m surprised no one has tried to breed this before! 😁😁 or if you have or know someone who has I’d love to hear how it went!

Thanks!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, you DO NOT always get a "mini" in these cross breeds. So the one you ask for is out there. The tendencies are for size to reduce. Genetically, you may get the heavy cream or not. Its a crap shoot.

I had a "mini nub" buck who did not stay small. He did pass many good milk qualities of BOTH the Nubian and ND. I do have a few linebred, full sized, heavy milkers with excellent cream output. Nubians usually give a higher cream in the large breeds.

They are or come from dtrs of this buck, bred back to him. Sadly, he passed this summer but I have several offspring. SaanenX. I get volume and a higher cream. Still not up to ND ratio. You breed, test milk and use the ones closest to what you want for breeding next generation.

The next idea is breed NDs for more volume. Good cream ratio, better output.

Last edited:

Tori

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, you DO NOT always get a "mini" in these cross breeds. So the one you ask for is out there. The tendencies are for size to reduce. Genetically, you may get the heavy cream or not. Its a crap shoot.

I had a "mini nub" buck who did not stay small. He did pass many good milk qualities of BOTH the Nubian and ND. I do have a few linebred, full sized, heavy milkers with excellent cream output. Nubians usually give a higher cream in the large breeds.

They are or come from dtrs of this buck, bred back to him. Sadly, he passed this summer but I have several offspring. SaanenX. I get volume and a higher cream. Still not up to ND ratio. You breed, test milk and use the ones closest to what you want for breeding next generation.

The next idea is breed NDs for more volume. Good cream ratio, better output.
Sorry for the extremely slow reply haha! I forgot my login to this site and just found it now. But okay that’s awesome to hear! I guess when I finally get my goats I’ll just have some experimenting to do :) sounds pretty fun really. Thanks for all the info!!