Possible twin????

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I came out to the paddock this evening and there was a lamb head and hooves sticking out of one of the ewes. His elbows were back so I pulled them out and he came easily after that. A minute after he was born, a second dark water bag came out of his mom. There wasn't a lamb inside this water bag. I bumped her and it seemed like I felt something hard, so I waited. About 45 minutes in, I checked for a lamb in the birth canal. Nothing. It's been over an hour since the second water bag appeared. Can there be a water bag without a lamb? Is it possible she's done?

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Update, it's now been 1 1/2 hours since the first lamb was born. He's up and nursing. No change with his mom. No contractions, no signs of distress. Could it be possible that extra water bag was just...there? She's eating alfalfa and looking calm and happy. I'm fact, she's staring at me wondering what I'm doing in her lambing jug with a flashlight.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m not any kind of expert on ewe uterus, but if I’m reading this right, you pulled the lamb, a dark water bag appeared. That is normal and give her time, she will pass the placenta. She is done and you have a healthy lamb that is up and nursing.

If it makes you feel any better, I have sat in the dark and cold for 2 hours waiting on a second lamb that did not show up. I finally gave up and went inside. Next morning I found the afterbirth. 😃

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’m not any kind of expert on ewe uterus, but if I’m reading this right, you pulled the lamb, a dark water bag appeared. That is normal and give her time, she will pass the placenta. She is done and you have a healthy lamb that is up and nursing.

If it makes you feel any better, I have sat in the dark and cold for 2 hours waiting on a second lamb that did not show up. I finally gave up and went inside. Next morning I found the afterbirth. 😃
Yes!!! That's exactly what happened. Thanks! Now I can go inside and unfreeze myself 😅 I just wanted to make sure she was done and I wasn't sure what that second bag meant.

Latest posts