Survey of veterinary access to care and antibiotic use by owners and managers of small ruminant livestock in the United States.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey All --
I just got this in my email from a fellow trainer and judge. The survey is out of WA State U. Turns out I know the gal doing the survey - she's "good people".
I thought I'd share it here and spread the word.

My name is Ashley Wright. I am a 4th year veterinary student at Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine. For my senior paper I am investigating access to veterinary care for small ruminant (sheep and goat) owners. This is an especially important issue in light of the removal of antibiotic access from over the counter suppliers.

Access to veterinary care can be a challenge for owners and managers of small ruminant livestock. Researchers at Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine have developed a survey to better understand how those that raise sheep and goats manage the health of their animals and the obstacles encountered. It is anticipated the results of the survey will inform further research and efforts to improve access to veterinary care and foster antibiotic stewardship on small-scale, small ruminant livestock operations in the United States.

This issue is important to me because I have managed a sheep flock and trained herding dogs. My first-hand experience of the challenges faced by sheep and goat owners motivated me to do this research as my senior paper project. My goal is to better understand and develop solutions to remove obstacles to quality health care of sheep and goats. Please help my by posting a link to my survey on your website, Facebook page, or mailed out to your membership list.

The survey should not take longer than 10-15 minutes. It is completely voluntary, and all responses will be anonymous, so you can answer candidly without any risk of anyone tracking your answers back to you.
If you are at least 18 years of age and own or manage sheep or goats as part of a “hobby” or “backyard” farm in the United States you are eligible to participate in this online survey.

If you have any questions about the survey or how the data will be used contact Dr. John Wenz DVM, MS, Associate Professor, WSU College of Veterinary Medicine: jrwenz@wsu.edu 509-335-0773
“This study, IRB 20122, has been certified as Exempt by the WSU Human Research Protection Program.
Both surveys links are anonymous and do not track or ask for personal information. The only piece of somewhat personal information we ask for is a zip code so we can look at if there are trend differences depending on location.

This is the link for the survey accessed via social media (website, facebook pages, ect): https://wsu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_exrX5rv1RZtIAh8

This is the link accessed via email list. Iif you email the link to your members list can you tell me how many people are on the list, I don’t need names or anything, just numbers so we can talk about response rate: https://wsu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_e5lCjuURWnUNsIm

Thank you for your assistance,

Ashley Wright
WSUCVM class of 2024
ashley.a.wright@wsu.edu

One attachment • Scanned by Gmail