Worried ewe has stillborn?

autismnotevery1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi new sheep owner. My ewe is pregnant and possibly due anyday. She jumped the fence and into the alpaca pasture where our ram was. Well we did not think he got her but now we are worried cause we have no idea really how far she is. Based on her udder we think she is due anyday. Her udder was swollen and 2 days ago it went soft. No lamb and no sign of lambing is this normal? She eats and acts fine . Thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0167.png
    IMG_0167.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 25

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the picture since we can't see either the udder or the vulva. Has she lambed before? Did you mark on calendar when she got into the pasture with the ram? Can you try to pinpoint the date? Gestation is approximately 145-150 days. You say that the udder got swollen and then went soft. That really doesn't mean a lot. If she is eating fine and acting normally then she probably is fine. There is no need to think she has a dead lamb since she has not shown any signs of lambing yet. Other than the udder does she look at all pregnant? Hs she increased in girth? Can you feel any movement when she lays down? Can you express any milk from her teats?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feel on each side of her spine, right above her tail. Right before birth, the ligaments soften up and are all mooshy.

autismnotevery1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you everyone just as I went out to get pictures tonight she was in need of a little help. We have a baby ewe! Now I watched her for almost an hr no more babies but no placenta is that normal?

Attachments

• IMG_0922.jpeg
    IMG_0922.jpeg
    641.9 KB · Views: 22

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you everyone just as I went out to get pictures tonight she was in need of a little help. We have a baby ewe! Now I watched her for almost an hr no more babies but no placenta is that normal?
Congratulations on the ewe lamb! Yes it takes awhile for placenta to drop. I usually find it and bury it.