Peteyfoozer’s Journey (because journaling’s not enough)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you plan to neuter him? It just crossed my mind. If he starts showing aggression, get it done ASAP as once learned, his behavior may not change. Not telling you what to do, it just popped up in my head. And because I’m a blabber-fingers, I had to tell you!

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m on the fence about it. I haven’t ruled it out for certain. Both my Maremmas were neutered. I neutered both my Maremmas …

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I only have experience with 2 male Anatolians, so it’s limited. Both are intact. Both are sweethearts and both are aggressive. If it’s not a sheep, it doesn’t belong and Sentry kills it. Buford is his student and I think he will be even more aggressive. Both are intact.

Both hate Carson and will attack if they get the chance.

I’m the Alpha, they both defer to me, unless it’s a fight or a kill. Turtles, snakes, at least one raccoon, armadillo, they are dead. And I want them to be this way. No coyotes have tried them, they stay away.

Perhaps @Ridgetop could weigh in on this.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually all of the breeder’s dogs are full time, working LGD’s that only leave the ranch to go to a show, then back out to the pasture. I asked her for the most social of the litter as if we left him home, different cowboys would have to feed him. I have worked really hard though, making sure he meets lots of people and has good experiences with strangers. We’ve gone down to the ranch hotsprings and had people pet him and give treats. Have had all the cowboys and their wives fawn over him and he’s on a first name basis with everyone at the feedstore in Burns and the vet. Trying to make him people friendly and dog neutral have been my highest priority from the day I brought him home as those are the two things that disqualify LGD’s as Service Dogs. He may still fail on me at maturity, but I am hoping not.
He was AWESOME today!! 2 hours waiting in hospital while Randy had second of 3 surgeries. He made lots of friends with Drs, Nurses and people waiting with me. He slept through the hootin and hollering at Texas Roadhouse tonight. I only fell once today and it was when I did not have hold of him.
He’s a natural

View attachment 107268

View attachment 107269
You’ve worked hard and it’s paying off. You also had the right dog to work on! It takes two to make it work. Yes he’s still a pup, but he is SO on the right track thanks to all your hard work.

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ll second @Baymule ’s neuter him. And I’m not a huge fan of spay/neuter all. I add in too that once aggressors shown it becomes more of a learned self reinforcing behavior.
Check with your breeder to see what the earliest you could do this.
Contract says it can’t be done before 18 mo but if he gets aggressive the call will be made. !

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If not valuable breeding stock, I’m in favor of spay and neuter. I agree about the growth plates. I never neutered Sentry because of his hip dysplasia. I figured he needed his hormones for his bad bone structure. Buford, I'm on the fence. I was thinking I’d get a female and have a litter or two, but I am thinking I have enough work to do. LOL

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do not recommend anyone ever try using an LGD breed as a Service Dog, however, I have experience with LGD’s and knew I was getting into a possibly failing situation. In our case it would not have mattered as Boone would still have both a home and a job.
But,
As it turns out, Boone is perfect for me. He’s big enough to manage my falls and mobility issues, he’s friendly enough to greet people but never jumps on them or gets rough, he ignores them naturally if I do, he’s lazy enough to happily lie down for extended amounts of time in Dr offices and hospitals, he’s bonded enough to want to be at my side, always, and he is natural at conserving energy so when the day after pain or hell-flares happen, he can sleep along with me instead of needing stimulation and exercise like most herding dogs (Heath being the exception because of his incredible bond with me) He is intelligent and food motivated enough to learn the additional skills I need him to have, he’s courageous enough not to be fearful or reactive to other dogs threatening him (which caused problems for both of my other Service Dogs) he’s intimidating enough to prevent rude and inconsiderate people from “drive by petting” which was also a problem with my sheppies, he has no fear or reactivity to loud noises or odd looking things, He is , so far, the unicorn I was praying for.

Fen got me out of the wheelchair, into the garden and back in the saddle and the kitchen. He got me through the most emotionally painful year of my life, and now, it’s Boone that I need.
I’m still a little jealous that Fen bonded to Randy, in spite of all my efforts, but as long as he will keep doing the Happy Hiney Dance with me and I can hug his luxurious sheppie neck, I am satisfied.

IMG_8207.jpeg

Last edited:

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had a great day today. Did all the chores, dragged the chicken fencing to the garden as the little dinosaurs destroyed all my rows. Got a rabbit bred, moved Boone’s huge crate inside the house so I can keep him out of the way when playing with Fen. Milked some red and hard white wheat and made bread and got the house vacuumed. Feels good after losing a whole day. Mister came in to be a lawn ornament and Boone hung out with him awhile. ❤️

IMG_8247.jpeg

Latest posts