…when I’m sixty four.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw a video a few weeks ago that talked about families moving from the land to the cities & convenience being preferred over quality. It talked about how an entire generation forgot to pass down knowledge of how to live and how there is now a whole generation of women discovering how to grow things, and raise things, and create food from that knowledge.
It was really quite beautiful

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw a video a few weeks ago that talked about families moving from the land to the cities & convenience being preferred over quality. It talked about how an entire generation forgot to pass down knowledge of how to live and how there is now a whole generation of women discovering how to grow things, and raise things, and create food from that knowledge.
It was really quite beautiful
I have always been interested in DIY and growing my own vegetables. Sad to say, my own children aren’t interested in even trying to grow their own food. They would rather pay the high prices at expensive grocery stores. :(

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same here. Although both HAVE grown a garden, had chickens for eggs, etc. Both were involved at home with my efforts, canning, raising animals & all as youngsters. For many, our children haven't learned/felt the urgency of $$ I guess. 🤷

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I"m 68 and hubs is 69. We FINALLY settled here last summer. 2.6 acres in Vancouver WA.

We spent a lifetime raising my DD and our DS in the SF Bay Area, where I was an executive. I worked and travelled all the time, but had containers for a small garden.

Hubs and I finally escaped San Jose and bought 7.4 acres in the Sierra Foothills. Built a gorgeous wine country home, planted 2 acres of petite syrah, got Jersey Giants, a huge garden....and then had to start to rent out the Casita and then finally the house via VRBO/AirBnB., to make the Interest ONLY payments on the damn mortgage. We were sinking. Quickly! Broke my knee cap real bad, by tripping over my McNab BC.... More financial sinking, due to Obama Care...

We had to borrow money from Mother to resettle into a golf course home. Then moved to Grant Pass OR on 2 acres, where after a year thinking my dream has come true yea again, Hubs found someone on the other side of the fence where the grass was greener. I moved to Medford after the divorce, rented out a room to travelling nurses, made new friends. Deer ate EVERYTHING! Not a good life. Gorgeous home tho...........

Got back together when the GF of his died (he was half way back to me already), so we packed up, sold all that we could, and bought this 1972 place at the TOP OF THE MARKET. Got chickens; greatly expanded the garden; fenced for deer; learned about rabbits; hubs was diag with the beginning of dementia (its very slow at this time); and here we are.

Both of us are on happy pills, which got rid of his anger, and softened my depression.

Difficult to adjust to the weather where it rained for 6 months and then was dry as a bone from May to yesterday, where we got 0.47 inches of the wet stuff.

Am I happy now at 68.5 yrs old with my acreage and chicks and modest home? Yeah. Kinda sorta.

DD lives 10 min from here, and DS gave his notice at Tesla, so he could move up here this October. Are they interested in gardening, home canning, quilting, chickens, dehydrating garden excess, stocking a deep pantry, prepping? NOPE. NEITHER ONE OF THEM.

Bought a wooden sign at an estate sale last weekend: Hangs in my office right in front of my desk: "Choose to be Happy". I need to study it every day!!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've got a similar sign!
67 and 69 here. I'm the kid ;) . Our son and DIL are about 15 miles away - so close. Wish they'd be closer - but then we were the ones that moved. No grands, not their thing I guess. Such is life. But they've planted up their 1/3 ac into a fantastic garden yard. Grapes (wine), olives, passion fruit, lemons, peaches, avocado, tons of herbs and medicinal herbs, veggies, and chickens. I'm blessed to have them and garden shop together. I think they're healthier eaters than we are.