Abscess/lump on ram

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The pus will probably drain out easily unless it is CL. If it is runny and green you will have to collect it in a paper towel and put the mess in a ziploc bag. If it is thick, whitish and requires more pushing to exude, it may be CL. Same thing - collect as much of a clump as posible and put n ziploc bag. Then immediately take the bag to the vet and request a sample. The vet will send it to the lab and get a report for you.

Be sure to wear gloves when lancing the abscess, collect all the exudate, and any paper towels, etc. you use to drain the abscess and put in trash, including the gloves. Use a syringe without a needle to wash out the hole with iodine or alcohol. Keep the ram isolated until the hole heals. Depending on what the lab finds is the cause, you can make a decision about whether to keep or dispose of the ram.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The pus will probably drain out easily unless it is CL. If it is runny and green you will have to collect it in a paper towel and put the mess in a ziploc bag. If it is thick, whitish and requires more pushing to exude, it may be CL. Same thing - collect as much of a clump as posible and put n ziploc bag. Then immediately take the bag to the vet and request a sample. The vet will send it to the lab and get a report for you.

Be sure to wear gloves when lancing the abscess, collect all the exudate, and any paper towels, etc. you use to drain the abscess and put in trash, including the gloves. Use a syringe without a needle to wash out the hole with iodine or alcohol. Keep the ram isolated until the hole heals. Depending on what the lab finds is the cause, you can make a decision about whether to keep or dispose of the ram.
Thank you! This was super helpful.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got the abscess cleaned out yesterday. It was greenish and the texture of snot, thankfully. There wasn't much of it either, and my sister and I wiped and flushed the hole. I think we're good to go! He hates being away from the other sheep, but he should heal up quickly so he can be back with the ladies. I'm just so relieved it wasn't CL. He has been awesome, never aggressive even once and I'd hate to lose him.

Latest posts