Anemic buck goat - related questions

SteepedInSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It's been a learning curve trying to figure out how to manage parasites in my herd. We unfortunately lost a buckling last year due to anemia from parasites and I didn't catch the symptoms until it was too late.
We bought a new buck in oct, a 1 yr old boer (and was dewormed the day we bought him). I noticed he was acting a but sluggish day before yesterday so I collected a fecal sample and saw a lot of eggs. We dewormed him yesterday with fenbendazole and gave him redcell, as well as a vitamin b shot.
Main question at the moment is does this all sound like we're doing the right things? Anything else to add?
Is it redundant to give him redcell if we're also giving him the vitamin b shots?
He thankfully still has an appetite and is eating goat feed and hay but he has definitely lost weight and his eyelid is pale.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Deworming kills worms but, obviously, doesn't make an instant recovery for the goat. I'd give him some probios, deworm again 10-14 days from this last, with different type....more probios, etc. as the wormer kills the good gut bacteria as well as worms. Even syringe some live bacteria yogurt to him. Different type wormer is to get anything first didn't.

Lot more I could say but -- have to leave for an apptmt🥴😁

SteepedInSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Deworming kills worms but, obviously, doesn't make an instant recovery for the goat. I'd give him some probios, deworm again 10-14 days from this last, with different type....more probios, etc. as the wormer kills the good gut bacteria as well as worms. Even syringe some live bacteria yogurt to him. Different type wormer is to get anything first didn't.

Lot more I could say but -- have to leave for an apptmt🥴😁
Thank you for the reply.
He is doing far far better and I'm so relieved. He even figured out how to open his little gate and got back with the rest of the flock yesterday so his energy has greatly improved. I had him seperate so he didn't have to expend so much energy foraging and so he wouldn't be a pain to catch when he decided he was over the vitamin B shots.
I'm going to deworm again in that 10-14 day window since the last time but I wasn't sure what kind to buy. Any suggestions? The eggs I looked at appeared to either be barber pole or some kind of liver flukes...I couldn't quite tell which it was.