Antibiotics for lamb

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi we have a six week old lamb who seems to be developing an upper respiratory infection with some nasal discharge but otherwise seems okay. Other lambs in herd are not showing any symptoms at this time but wanted to get this guy started on potentially some penicillin? Or other antibiotics to kick this in the butt. What dose is appropriate of penicillin for a young lamb or would you suggest something else? Thank you

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have goats. Both goats & lambs go down fast with respiratory issues, into pneumonia. Dosage depends on weight.

While penn works, it's not as fast/effective as other options. Unless you loaded up while some were still OTC, you'll need a vet to get treatment.

Here I use sulfa drugs SMZs, which work well. Loaded before the govt stopped buying them OTC.

Maybe others have suggestions.

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have LA 300 and pen on hand. He was eating an active all the other lamps seemed okay he just has the toddler crusty nose

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Either pen or LA is safe for babies... do not overdose... How big is the lamb? I would go with 1 cc of penicillin AND a separate shot of 1 cc of LA 300. Give the pen on one side of the neck and the LA on the other side.. Pen will hit it immediately, and the LA is longer lasting... give them both SQ (under the skin).... do the pen first as the LA is going to sting/burn a little... neither will overdose,... and I like the symbiotic way they work together...
Penicillin has fallen out of favor, with the newer stronger drugs... but it is a very good FAST acting drug that gets into their system quickly... by rights it should be given for 3-5 days in a row... but by giving the LA also, that takes care of the "longer lasting" effects that you would get by giving the Pen everyday... and less shots to make them shy away from you... If after 3-4 days you do not see some results, then redo it with pen shot for 2-3 days in a row as well as the shot of LA again... But if the lamb is acting pretty normal except for the crusty nose, I think that will really help it...

I am NOT a vet.... this is a suggestion of what I would do for my own animal...

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you. I did probiotics yesterday and today a little bit less of a crusty nose I did notice a slight cough. His mom had a slight cough but one that they just periodically get from some of the dust from hay. No one else has any clinical signs he's eating and getting around good too. I'll try and give the antibiotics this morning and monitor thank you

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Either pen or LA is safe for babies... do not overdose... How big is the lamb? I would go with 1 cc of penicillin AND a separate shot of 1 cc of LA 300. Give the pen on one side of the neck and the LA on the other side.. Pen will hit it immediately, and the LA is longer lasting... give them both SQ (under the skin).... do the pen first as the LA is going to sting/burn a little... neither will overdose,... and I like the symbiotic way they work together...
Penicillin has fallen out of favor, with the newer stronger drugs... but it is a very good FAST acting drug that gets into their system quickly... by rights it should be given for 3-5 days in a row... but by giving the LA also, that takes care of the "longer lasting" effects that you would get by giving the Pen everyday... and less shots to make them shy away from you... If after 3-4 days you do not see some results, then redo it with pen shot for 2-3 days in a row as well as the shot of LA again... But if the lamb is acting pretty normal except for the crusty nose, I think that will really help it...

I am NOT a vet.... this is a suggestion of what I would do for my own animal...
Lamb is probably 20lbs or so

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh I just found nuflor.... It's expired but that has told me I could still use it I guess if needed but I will start by giving the pen now and wait to see if you guys think I should give the nuflor instead of the LA 300 @farmerjan

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Then 1 cc will not be too much. I would do 1/4 or 1/2 if it was real small and younger.
Of which antibiotics are you saying to give this much? I was going to do one cc of pen

I was just drawing up some of the LA 300 and it's black.... Don't know if I should use it

Nuflor bottle seems better and instructions are 1 cc per 50 lb twice a day

Last edited: