Appropriate pay for sheep helper

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!!
Hope everyone and their animals are doing well this summer!! Wondering what is fair pricing for someone to help work sheep. Do you pay per head or per hour? Specifically having someone hold for me to trim feet.

Thanks!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have enough friends that are glad to help when I need it, with the sheep. I also have a friend that is a fix it man. He works for $20 per hour.

Do you have any working equipment? A chute, or way to restrain them?

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have enough friends that are glad to help when I need it, with the sheep. I also have a friend that is a fix it man. He works for $20 per hour.

Do you have any working equipment? A chute, or way to restrain them?
I do have some equipment. The young man has helped.me before trim feet. Prob took us an hour to work about 15....the sheep are well behaved so it's not much a struggle...just need another pair of hands. We have bartered before but I want to be fair to my helper. My husband suggested $5 a head which seems to be Alot! I was thinking $40 total so thought I would check with others.
Thanks!!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is hourly wage in your area? Is this a teenager or adult? If a teenager is he in FFA or 4-H? (If FFA /4-H this sort of work for pay can give a boost to their record keeping book which is significant.)

Remember whatever you pay per hour, he will expect for other chores you may decide to have him do. If you are happy with $20/hr (which is higher than minimum wage I think) be sure that you can afford it and keep track of hours worked. If you prefer to pay by the job, that is fine too. Just make sure it is understood in advance what you are paying and how much. if this is a FFA/4-H kid helping you for free then whatever you want to gift him is up to you. Just don't price yourself out of the market.