Baymule’s 2024 Lambing plus 12-23

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad all is working out. Scary for a bit there.
My ewe had a vaginal prolapse- like yours. Started small but got bigger - and worse when out grazing uphill. Had to stop grazing her and tried to keep her level (and did the harness thing). She had twins and all went back to normal - no uterine prolapse. But she’ll be headed to the auction soon.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So Rainbow has decided that her ewe lamb is a Princess and her ram lamb is a homeless bum. Princess Royalty had fat full tummy, laying next to momma. Homeless Bum was laying outs the shelter, skinny, hollow and weak. I took him to Mom, she knocked him into next week. Multiple tries, same result, definition of insanity.

I put her darling Princess in a small pen, Mom followed bleating for her precious baby. I put Homeless Bum in too and Mom about had a conniption fit. HORRORS!!!! BAM! She butted him away.

I got a collar and leash, tied her up and let Homeless Bum get a full tummy. Precious Princess stood under Mom’s nose but invariably Mom just HAD to go and sniff Homeless Bum and she kicked him away. Can’t have the likes of him contaminating her Precious Princess.

I squeezed milk out and rubbed it on him. Nope, that’s a Homeless Bum and she wasn’t having it. Too bad you #%€£}*¥+# B!TCH! I’m not bottle feeding him. I just went back out and got him up to feed again. I’ll do 2-3 more times before night. I’ll have to let her out and her lambs. Got a storm rolling in and that small pen floods. So, a full tummy and he ought to be good for tonight. I’ll steal her Precious Princess in the morning and we’ll do it again.

Rainbow has been a pet, one of my favorites. She’s skidding towards the SELL list right about now. If it takes 2 weeks, she’s gonna feed that baby.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been outside going between bottle lambs and Homeless Bum. Ran out for last feeding, got wet, came in and took a shower. Storm has arrived.

They push our limits sometimes!! 🥴 Diaper princess, then rub her pee all over his rear & butt...maaaybe they'll smell alike to mom 🤷. Nothing to lose!!

Good idea. I’ll try it tomorrow. Rubbing Homeless Bum with milk didn’t work, even a generous amount on his bottom. 😃

I have 30 lambs, minus the 3 bottle lambs, so it is chaotic in the shelter and night pen. Luxury would be. Lambing jug, deep bedded, is a big barn, privacy for ewe and new lambs. Private water bucket and feed pan. Not having to share.

Got news for you sheep, this ain’t the Marriott, this is the Grand Cow Panel Palace. No jug, no privacy and chances are good that some strange lamb is gonna run up to suck.

It’s a wonder that only 2 lambs have been rejected. Trying to make it one. I tie up Rainbow again in the morning and make her feed Homeless Bum.

Katahdins are known to have strong mothering instinct. Rainbow is a beautiful ewe, a sweet pet. Her lamb is second generation. She better get with the program.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put Rainbow in the small pen this morning and tied her up. Much to her chagrin Homeless Bum got a full tummy. I gave her pellets and alfalfa. Precious Princess is well fed too. Rainbow may very well spend the next 2 months in this pen.

Got 1 3/4” of rain last night. Sheep are out on the field with lambs. Dainty is staying close to the shelter with her 2 lambs.

One more to lamb. She used to like scratches, she hates me now. LOL

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I put Rainbow in the small pen this morning and tied her up. Much to her chagrin Homeless Bum got a full tummy. I gave her pellets and alfalfa. Precious Princess is well fed too. Rainbow may very well spend the next 2 months in this pen.

Got 1 3/4” of rain last night. Sheep are out on the field with lambs. Dainty is staying close to the shelter with her 2 lambs.

One more to lamb. She used to like scratches, she hates me now. LOL
Same with these ducklings, hand feed them and after a bit they are running to other end of brooder box in the hopes of a great escape.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a well known fact that most show dairy heifers are real B!TCHES when they first come fresh and have to become actual "working members" of the farm... no long spoiled pampered "darlings" .... the bigger the pet, more often the bit@#%ier they are doing what is supposed to come naturally.... and to full fill their JOB....
Sorry for the problem with the ewe... just keep making her feed him... and when they start to get more active, and are out with the rest of the sheep, he may also learn to go steal off other ewes... even though they all have multiples to feed as it is...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get out of jail card ;
3-4 days confinement without being tied up to feed Homeless Bum.

IMG_6443.jpeg

I came home from church, fed bottle hooligans. This woke the sleeping Precious Princess and Homeless Bum, both got up and nursed. I offered Rainbow water and gave her some alfalfa. She will stay tied during the day, I’ll untie her at night. They will stay in this pen until she feeds Homeless Bum without being tied.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rainbow lambed last night, ram and ewe. No prolapse.
I had a big Suffolk ewe threaten to a rectal prolapse for the last several weeks of her pregnancy when laying down. Once she had her big lambs it went away and never come back. Might wait another pregnancy to decide about culling her.