Baymule’s Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I HATE THE BLACK BUZZARDS with a passion...
They haven't been around much until today. I was putting wire on the corral panels in the barnyard and about 20 or more flew in and circled around over the sheep and lambs in the pasture! I got worried they might decide to attack one of the lambs. They came down a little lower and I was wondering if I could get my shotgun and fire at the to spook them when I noticed that all the sheep and lambs were under the trees! I wonder if that is what they do when a predator is swooping overhead. Or maybe it was just a coincidence. Huge flock of them circling.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Overall, the buzzards will not get themselves into an area under trees, or into brushy areas that they cannot take off from easily... They are clumsy and awkward, and have learned to not get into tight quarters since they have trouble just flying straight up... they require a couple of steps or hops to launch themselves into flight most times.
Most animals that are "prey" animals will find some "shelter" to get under of sorts, to diminish their attractiveness to most birds of prey or anything like the scavengers Birds of prey like hawks and eagles and such like to swoop down or even dive on their intended prey... My chickens would run under the brushy stuff around the holly tree where the hawk would not chase them.... my cows will all take their calves under the trees/into the cedars when the babies are new until they get more active....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to be sunny today and tomorrow, rains come back Thursday and Friday. Then 4 days of sunshine. I think I’ll graze the ewes and lambs in the yard again today. They can enjoy the grass and trample down the tall stuff.

Talked to my sister last night. She was in good spirits and decided to stay in her house while the FEMA buyout drags on for the next year. Her daughter in law suggested it. The upstairs did not flood and is livable. A small refrigerator and microwave and she’ll be set . The downstairs is gutted, all the furniture, appliances and everything is gone, set out at the street and scavengers picked it all up. Sheetrock is out and cabinets are coming out. There will be nothing left but the studs and outside walls. Rent on another place is higher than her social security, she can’t do that. She can park her car in the garage, enjoy her outdoor living area in her covered deck and survive the next year until the buyout is completed.

She has a gambrel roofed portable building that my son wants, it is lodged against a tree now. She said he can have it, he just has to get it moved. I’ll go see what the damage is, probably won’t take much to get it back in good shape. He wants it for his land In Houston County.

She has a 2 car, free standing garage, metal building that she said I could tear down. Waiting to see if FEMA says it’s ok. Y’all cross your fingers and toes, say your prayers, stick your hand in stump water and chant, “Baymule NEEDS this metal” 29 times, turn around 4 times and make a wish on the moon. That oughta do it.

That metal would build me at the very least 1 open front barn, a good running start on a second one, if not the whole thing. Game changer. Chris and his brother are ready to go help me tear it down and bring it home.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Buzzards they say... Yes I did professional photography at one time and might pick a camera up again one day, until then here is one of my old pictures from Beaumont, Texas in Tyrrell Park. It's a 3 mile hike to get that picture.
Wetlands 6700.jpg

Wetlands 21100.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a good picture of the vulture tree. The red headed buzzard is the “good” buzzard that does not kill.

I took the mule to the paved road. No way I’m getting out of here. I cranked up my son’s 1989, 5 speed 4WD F250. My yard is so wet and soggy, it spun tires. I did not lock in the hubs, I probably could get on the driveway but don’t want to rut up the yard. The sun is shining today and tomorrow.