Contagious Diarrhea in Adult Sheep?

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As long as they have recovered with no ill effects, it could have been something as simple as eating something in the pasture that disagreed with them, or even a sudden out of season heat wave. I would not worry about it unless is reoccurs. Mark the dates on your calendar when it happened and if it happens again check those dates to see if anything happened that you can pinpoint, i.e. time of year, certain forage blooming in pasture, change of feed, unusual weather, etc.
I am virtually sure it was not something they ate, because they all got sick one after the other. First one, then 8 days later the other, then 3 days later the third. They started being kept in more from the first day the first one got sick. They were on two different batches of orchard grass hay, first one bale, then another from a different delivery) (which is all I ever normally feed them, they don’t get any treats or grain because they don’t care for it), soaked orchard grass pellets (from day 5, at the recommendation of the vet) and their same pasture in the afternoons most days. The last one got sick after they had just spent a couple of days locked up in their stall… no mushrooms in pasture, very few acorns (fenced off and picked up), only short grass, radish, little bit of clover - all super short because it just started coming up in the fall and they have been on it every day. Nothing blooming…
Also the weather was not unusual or extreme at all. 🤷‍♀️
I did put it all in my calendar.
They all seem totally fine now. Catching up on their lost weight. Very happy to be allowed outside more again!