Doe close to kidding is going off feed, pregnancy toxemia/ketosis?

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We took her to the vet yesterday, but it was too late. She passed away at the vet clinic. The vet was very kind and tried very hard to save her, but we brought her in too late. He said that she had ring womb and couldn't open up to have her kids on her own. He pulled the kids out. There were triplets but he said they had probably died two days ago. She would have needed a c section earlier. I have never herd of this and her symptoms confused me. Thank you for all the help you have given me.
I’m so sorry for your loss! I mean it, I can only imagine what that must be like to lose one of your goats, I have dairy goats but they are my babies!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. There was no way you could tell this would happen after 2 previously successful kiddings. :hugs

Ring womb means that the cervix was unable to dilate properly. The term means that the cervix acts as a ring around the opening to the womb, does not soften enough to stretch, and does not allow the kids to come out. This problem can also be caused by scar tissue from a previous kidding. She was probably in labor when you noticed her being nervous, crying, and getting up and down. This problem can also be genetic.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry. You don't expect this and it hurts! Yes, I've lost some and it always hurts. Sometimes things go wrong, this did. :hugs were hurting with you.

oaksandiron

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I am new to goat breeding and am here to learn. Your loss may very well be someone else's gain, thank you for sharing, and very sorry for your loss.

Latest posts