High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
View attachment 106682
Ruby is now a week old and doing well. I had my daughter help me band her tail. Now we’re starting to work on our pen for the goat. They got weaned Saturday and we’ll pick it up this week. Stopped at the feed store for dog food and somehow wound up with 6 chicks? Not sure how that happened.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::gig:gig:gig:gig:idunno:idunno:idunno:idunno Chicken math......

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chicks...gotta watch out, they jump right in your cart!! 😱😱😂. I have a broody due to hatch this coming sunday. Nine eggs. But ya never know what'll hatch -- might be a couple from somewhere might follow ME home🙄 while she's mothering.👍

Actually surprised a couple more of my girls hasn't set. That time of year. ☺️

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The problem with Darla was she is a Nigerian. The smaller dwarf goats do seem to jump out, climb out, and maybe even dig out! We never had a problem with our dairy does. Actually, once we started chaining the gates closed, we never had a problem. Goats and horses can figure out how to unlatch a gate.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our ram, Gus Gus, went down Tuesday. He was laying there on his side, unable to stand or lift his head and clearly bloated. Got some bloat treatment in him and massaged his stomach and ribs coaxing burps out of him. He’s still alive but unable to stand. I’ve given him vitamin B injections, selenium, and an anti inflammatory but he remains propped with hay bales and unable to stand. He’ll eat from his position, I’ve been giving him water with a drench gun because he has no problem slurping it down. He just can’t get up. Other than that he seems fine. No more heavy breathing, color is great, eyes are alert and responsive, no signs of pain. It’s like the bloat left him paralyzed. My daughters love him because he’s such a sweetheart of a ram and are begging me to keep him alive, but at this rate it’s all in the Lords hands and I’ll just do what I can.
In a more positive note we got the show goat. A well mannered little doeling who aims to please. My daughter goes into the pen with a chair and a book and reads to her everyday. She was just weaned last week and we figured she might be extra skittish but she’s already coming up like a puppy dog. We tried the halter on her yesterday to see how she would do and she pulled a little at the start of course but by the end of the session she would willingly take a few steps before stopping and never really hauled back.
IMG_3491.jpeg

With the yellow coloring, we call her Elle.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
The Junior Market Goat Show at our county fair requires goats to be dehorned OR "tipped." Not necessary to be disbudded or dehorned. Maybe it varies from state to state or even county to county?

Latest posts