Is it true?

HerdQueen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals! So I am a big skeptic of online information because most of it I find is untrue! I prefer to get real goat owners oppinions. My two does kidded last spring and the kids were weined and sold off at the appropriate time. We kept the girls in milk and will continue to throughout the summer. My questian is do I have to breed them and dry them up this fall? Why do I have to breed them? Can I milk them indefinitely?
Thanks,

Attachments

• 20230915_180357.jpg
    20230915_180357.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 16

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depends on the goats and the breed. You can try to milk through the year. Milk is the by-product of kidding.

Some breeds are heavy milkers and will milk longer, others are not and will dry themselves up. The only way to a definite yearlong milk supply is to breed every year and milk for a 10 month lactation. Even high yielders may start decreasing their yield at the end of 10 months. If you are milking 2 animals and want year-round milk you will have to breed them about 2-3 months apart so one continues milking when the other is dry before kidding.

@Mini Horses has a Saanen that will milk year-round, I think.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, some of my Saanens will milk through, although there is a decrease in quantity after about 12 months. Feeding & age will affect this also. I've successfully milked one for 17 months. 😳 Dried her and rested for 6 months before rebreeding. But it's best to stagger a couple and not go beyond 12-13 months for milk. My Saanen X Nubian are not as accommodating. In the experiment of milk thru, I actually lost a kidding season with her.

I prefer a 9-10 month lactation because it's better for the doe. Hey, I don't put lights on my hens all winter for eggs, either. Animals need a break 🥰

Last edited:

HerdQueen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh wow! 17 months thats crazy!! Makes sense to give your animals a break👍. Thanks!