Official BYH Poll: What's the biggest challenge in maintaining your backyard herd?

What's the biggest challenge in maintaining a backyard herd?

• Space constraints

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Predator protection

• Health care

• Finding time for daily care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please explain below)

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

BYH Project Manager

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello, backyard herd enthusiasts! Your dedication to nurturing a mini-farm right in your backyard is truly inspiring. We'd love to hear from you about the various aspects of this rewarding endeavor. Today, we're delving into the nitty-gritty of the challenges you might face.

From space limitations to the ever-present concern of predator protection, and the careful balancing act of health care and daily care routines, we're curious: What's the biggest challenge in maintaining your backyard herd? Cast your vote to shed light on the hurdles that come with this fulfilling lifestyle.

sheep-8338313_640.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fencing the outer parameter.
40 years of growth in the fence line, trees, yaupon, brush, green briars, blackberry vines , in some places extending 20 feet out from the fence line. The fence is old barbed wire, down in many places, rendering the field unusable. I have 2 fields fenced so far.

Cross fencing. I haven’t got any cross fence up. Yet.

Cost of OK Brand sheep and goat wire went from $230 in February 2021 to a high of $460 and has slowly come down to $330 as of today. 16’ wire filled gates are currently $280. T-posts are gold. 8’ T-posts are $8.80 each. Place a T-post every 8 feet and the cost gets interesting.

There is a USDA program for cross fencing but one must have the outer parameter fence up first to qualify. Once approved, one has 2 years to complete the cross fencing. You must pay for it, then you get a partial refund.

Barn. No barn here. July 11, will mark 2 years that I bought this place. Had to put up fence first, got one field fenced, cow panel pens and pallet shelters. A 3 sided barn is going up this year.

Mud. More mud. Pure-dee sloppy poop soup.
I’ll start bringing dump truck loads of select fill dirt to build up barn pad and small yard, this week. First things first.

Heat. Drought. 2 1/2 months of 100+ degrees. Animals desperately need shade. Pallet shelters are inadequate. Of all things, tarps stretched from cow panel pen side to T-posts provide shade plus open to breezes. Be sure to have extra tarps to immediately put up another when wind or storms destroy the first one. Drought requires dry lotting the flock to keep them from killing the grass.

Hay. Buy early. In drought the prices go to the moon.

Dogs. I have 3 Anatolians that protect the sheep. I’ve never lost a sheep to predators. In about a year, I will add a fourth one.

Many of my sheep are pets, coming to me to be scratched, petted and loved. Some will lift a dainty hoof and paw my leg for attention. Wearing shorts is not recommended. LOL They make it all worth it.

Latest posts