Pig with possible tetanus, symptoms started 10 days ago

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been administering all injections in her neck as she seems to notice less that way.
Administering injections in the butts of market animals is not recommended because you can end up with abscesses or scar tissue in the meat. The neck is the best place on a pig - there is NO loose skin for sub Q injections on a pig. LOL

Snok

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of updates. The pig recovered massively and was doing well and gaining weight again. Unfortunately since yesterday she has started rapidly declining and is lethargic and has near to no appetite but will drink.
Later today we will be blending up a mixture of water, watermelon, fruits some eggs and so on and hopefully she drinks it

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of updates. The pig recovered massively and was doing well and gaining weight again. Unfortunately since yesterday she has started rapidly declining and is lethargic and has near to no appetite but will drink.
Later today we will be blending up a mixture of water, watermelon, fruits some eggs and so on and hopefully she drinks it
So the drugs helped? Usually, you'd repeat with stronger drugs then. But if it fails yet again, cull.

Snok

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes the medicine helped, we only had doses for 5 days and we’re out of penicillin but i could order some more if it will help.

The main issue I am having is feeding her, she doesn’t want anything other than fruits but that won’t help her gain weight much nor provide her with protein and other minerals. What would you recommend to try to feed her?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she will eat "sweet feed" of some sort... cattle feed maybe... usually can get a 12 to 16% protein... or add some molasses over feed... honestly, you might be much further ahead to sell or butcher her... but have to wait for the anti-biotics to get out of her system and that is often 21-30 days or more...

Has she been wormed?

Snok

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes she had been wormed in the past.
She refuses to eat anything but sweet foods, now she also refuses to eat solid foods also though. She will accept liquid food so for today i blended (cow) milk, eggs and honey and she drank it all.

While she is a meat pig of sorts we don’t actually have her for meat, one of our pigs tot pregnant and we decided to keep her piglets. For now (probably like 6 months minimum) we’re keeping them all alive so no worries about the issues with the antibiotics.

We would consider culling her though if she deteriorates beyond the point of recovery, I definitely don’t want her to starve to death.

Snok

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Unfortunately she died. Yesterday she was having spasms and was breathing heavily out of her mouth. She was doing so well yesterday morning but she suddenly deteriorated, I was considering culling but it was late at night and she had these sort of episodes before