rachels.haven's Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Darn, I knew that was what you were going to say but I was still hoping you'd say it was behavioral, my fault, and somehow I could fix it. Yeah, my dog is dying from the inside out. Time to chat with the spouse on timing. He also doesn't want to let her go.
You knew it all along, just needed confirmation. Best to make that tough decision rather than have something happen. You didn’t do anything wrong. Not your fault in any stretch of the imagination. Heck, she may have a brain tumor
Choose to remember the good afterwards.
Hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m thinking tumor also. That, or something pulled a switch on Bailey. Whatever it is, you can’t let it continue. Just a bad situation and it’s only going to get worse. Big hugs. It’s not going to be easy. Why the Hell does doing the right thing have to be so %£}*$&? Hard?

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess one of those options would explain the new, weird vocalizations she's been using.

That's too bad. I was hoping to retire her as a barnyard dog. I guess we'll have to decide when in the next few weeks.
So sorry to hear this. It’s such a tough decision to have to make. I have a 14.5 year old dachshund that I had always hoped would make it to 15. I don’t know if she will now, and I hope that some morning she just won’t wake up, and I won’t have to make the decision myself about when is it time.

It sounds like you will have to make the tough decision soon. Do it now while you still have good memories of her, and no tragic ones. :hugs

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ooo, that would be a fun thread. Where do byh-ers dream of going to see on vacation?

A FARM! Not sure how to get a cruise ship inland!
A cruise around the coast of Scotland, stopping at isles and costal towns to tour crofts!

I don’t like to travel much, but I do want to see Scotland some day. Do any of you watch This Farming Life?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Her brain has flipped, it’s not Bailey anymore.
Old dogs are like old people. Some get health issues others don't until the heart attack that takes them ut.
Heck, she may have a brain tumor
Or a mini stroke. Our Border Colle had a stroke and her behavior changed. She didn't get mean, just would occasionally bark at nothing, facing into a corner. After a couple more mini strokes we could tell she was having problems so I put her down. That was a special dog. She would sleep next to my grandson's crip and come get me when he woke up. He learned to walk pulling himself up on her. *
Might want to have the vet come to the farm. Trying to transport her could go all kinds of wrong.
Or put a muzzle on her before loading her in the car if she is no longer safe.

*:loveI have been very lucky in my life. A wonderful husband, kids, and grandkids, several great horses and terrific dogs.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
For now, Bailey is in the buck pen now and will not be near the children again. I'm going to be busy though. She started being nasty and snappy to them. If she doesn't settle in the next hour I'll call the vet on Monday because that's very unlike her. Things are only working right now because they are fairly compliant, very chill bucks when not in rut.

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could be Cushings disease. Bandito, my red cattle dog had that. Excessing drinking, eating like there was no tomorrow by busting into trash cans, trying to pull things off of countertops, trying to eat chicken food, snatching things out of our hand, bullying the cat, and behavior changes. Spent lots of money at two vets to be finally diag with Cushings.

A med helped a bit, but after three months, the symptoms increased. I finally had to put him down, and boy oh boy he was mad mad mad about that. Groaned, growled, snapped at the vet techs, who barely got the line in without danger. Then When they got him back to me, he wasn't right. I told them to hurry, give sedative and then hurry with the euthansia.

I'm sorry.