RESOLVED: Ewe w Stuck Dead Baby

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dottie is a yearling ewe that was due any day now. I was working on fence and didn't see her. I found her in shed with stuck baby well dead. Presenting correctly but one leg wedged holding baby with just ankles and nose out. I provided gentle steady pressure until leg straightened and foot progressed.

What do I do for Dottie now? We were gone all day so no clue how long baby's been stuck. Should I pull rest of way? Give nutridrench?
@Baymule @farmerjan @secuono

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m sorry about your lost lamb. But you saved the ewe so that’s a good thing. She’s exhausted, but she felt good enough to get up and move away from you. If you can catch her, give the nutridrench and a shot of the antibiotics you have.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely get the dead lamb out... I would give antibiotics for an "in case" she has any problems inside.... nutridrench for energy and strength... can you pen her in a small area separately so you can keep an eye on her? Agree with @secuono ... check for a second lamb also... and just monitor her.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I spoke to her on the phone. She gave the ewe nutridrench and antibiotics. The water bag is hanging out and the lamb is big. From the sounds of it, it’s a single and ewe will pass the placenta.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
UPDATE: Dottie delivered baby with minor assistance. I did the "bump" test and didn't feel anything plus she started passing the placenta. Baby with sack was 13.82lbs, ouch!
I gave 6 pumps of nutri-drench, 15mg Maloxicam pain/anti-flammitory, and 4.5mL of LA200 antibiotic. She got away from me before I could do an internal. My back is killing me.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a shame to lose the lamb. I am so sorry. These things happen and the ewe can be rebred. Large singles for first fresheners can be a problem lambing. :hugs

In case of malpresentation, always pull the lamb/kid as soon as you discover a problem. If there is a problem pulling the baby out can save it. If it cannot be saved, pulling it out can save the second baby if there is one. I have had large lambs stuck and finally gotten it out (dead) only to find a second one still alive inside the ewe. Sometimes after a long hard labor like that the ewe is exhausted and can't or won't push the second one out. If the ewe is too spent, pulling the second one is often the only way to save it.

If you have a vet that will give you oxytocin or a prescription to get some, you can administer it to help the ewe contract and deliver. Oxytocin has always been a vet prescribed drug though so usually t is only dairies that have a general prescription for it. I used to get mine from my dairy friend. Giving oxytocin can be dangerous since the ewe can continue to strain and contract longer than you want her to.

In cases when you have a ewe with a dead lamb, you can often milk colostrum as she is licking the dead lamb and trying to revive it. Freeze the colostrum for emergencies.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Late in on this one. So sorry about the lamb - and ginormous too. You did good and still have the ewe. It's so easy to sit behind the keyboard and say try/do this. YOU DID GOOD.
I'm still such a newb at this. My second ewe to lamb this year lost the first, and I jumped in and pulled the second (who was malpresented).