Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Y'all make me feel better I'm not the only one doing last minute got to get a pen up or cage for an animal. It's a oh look I need that animal let me grab it before someone else does and get a pen up later.

That’s pretty much how I operate. Hogs spent weeks in the trailer once while I built the Pig Palace.

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That’s pretty much how I operate. Hogs spent weeks in the trailer once while I built the Pig Palace.
Yeah I read that on your thread, mine spent a couple of days in a tote. Hopefully I can get ahead of this with these birds as I am not seeing buyers yet so I might have to end up keeping them.

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not a lot of meat on Khaki Campbell, but a thousand boils eggs anybody?
It's why I was thinking pickled eggs, maybe make them last extra bit and be extra avenue of revenue.
Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 21-09-20 Garlic Pickled Eggs Recipe - Food.com.png

HomeOnTheRange

Golden Herd Lurker
Reaction score

Hard Boil Your Eggs​

The first step is to hard boil 8 eggs.

Prepare Your Broth​

Combine all of these ingredients in a saucepan:

• 2 cups white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pickling spice
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 4–5 cloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 2–3 habanero peppers (orange color) cut into rings (discard stems). Include the seeds as well. Beware: The oils from the surface of these can really burn. I usually use the grocery bag they come in to hold them while slicing and cleaning. Wash your hands with soap and water after handling them.
  • 2–3 green jalapeno peppers, cut into slices
  • 1/2 red pepper, cut into strips
  • A few rings of a freshly cut white onion

Combine Eggs and Broth​

We are almost done.

1. Remove the broth from the heat and scoop some of the peppers/onions into a quart-sized mason jar.
  2. Add 3 eggs.
  3. Scoop some more of the peppers/onions/spices into the jar.
  4. Add 3 more eggs.
  5. Continue to add the peppers/onions/spices and eggs.
  6. When done, pour the remaining broth into the jar, using a funnel if you like, to within a quarter-inch of the top. You may have some leftover broth, depending on the size of the eggs and peppers, etc. If you are short on broth, just top off with white vinegar.
  7. Hand tighten a lid and ring on the jar and let it cool.
  8. Place it in the refrigerator for 2–3 weeks. This is a long time to wait, but the benefits are worth it!! I make one jar nearly every week, so I have a regular supply.
Eat and enjoy!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow probably, possibly? We can take 3 days to get to the ranch if we want since we will be sleeping in the 5th wheel at truck stops. No need to push to only spend one night on the road this time so no need for 12 hours driving. DH's back is feeling much better.

Had a hard time getting the gooseneck hitch out of the truck. DS1 and DH finally got it out and will put in the 5th wheel hitch tomorrow. I just realized that we need to remove the 5th wheel hitch at Yanti and leave it there with the 5th wheel. According to DS1 it is "not that heavy" but he could bench press 800 lbs. in high school. We are in our "Primes" so may have to use the hoist to remove it. That is what we used to lift the auger off the tractor. The hoist is already in Texas so no problem.

Talked to Cody today about possibly having Payton and his football buddies come over to help set up corrals and covers. Cody says he is sorting his cattle to sell as many as possible with prices high. Already took one load in last week and a load of yearlings in Monday. I asked if he was holding any heifers with prices this high and the fires in the panhandle. He said no, he thought he would sell all the heifers too. He said he got caught like that last time prices were high and he kept a bunch of heifers. Everybody else did the same thing and by the time he had calves out of them, prices had bottomed again! Said he thought he would sell what he could now and wait to buy when prices fell again. I told him that was smart since he had a lot of hay to sell to the fellows who decided to keep all their heifers and had to feed them and their calves. LOL He said that the chicken litter has not been spread yet. There is a fellow who had a farm equipment rental business and where Cody rented the spreader when he needed it. The guy that rented it before Cody's turn brought it back wrecked! The rental guy decided to close the rental business. Cody found someone else to spread it but that guy won't be spreading it for another week or so. He wanted the litter spread by now so the rain would have washed it into the ground, but it did not happen. That is farming for you.