Sore Mouth

C.L.McNall

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Is there a treatment that is proven to work?
I have recently have moved in with an 87 year old lady who has hd no one here in quite a while. Getting her property her home safe and healthy has been a job to say the least.
She had two new lambs born here with the mother. Two rams and a goat all who were under weight and needed some attention and love. Today as I was watering everyone and throwing hay I noticed this on one of the on one of the twins. Now some say sore mouth. Some say bacterial infecting.
I have to clear this up. I don't feel very confident in treating something before I know exactly what it is or a treatment in a guess then hope. I need not to make it worse with a hope and a prayer. If that was the case I'd just pray for it to clear. However, s helpful as it is to pray I need to get into action asap.
IMG_20240123_171121.jpg

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is there a treatment that is proven to work?
I have recently have moved in with an 87 year old lady who has hd no one here in quite a while. Getting her property her home safe and healthy has been a job to say the least.
She had two new lambs born here with the mother. Two rams and a goat all who were under weight and needed some attention and love. Today as I was watering everyone and throwing hay I noticed this on one of the on one of the twins. Now some say sore mouth. Some say bacterial infecting.
I have to clear this up. I don't feel very confident in treating something before I know exactly what it is or a treatment in a guess then hope. I need not to make it worse with a hope and a prayer. If that was the case I'd just pray for it to clear. However, s helpful as it is to pray I need to get into action asap.
View attachment 104133

Sore mouth (orf) is a virus. There’s no treatment, it just has to run its course. It is in the environment and most new babies will get it. It’s not usually a problem, but sometimes the sores on the lips make the lamb extra uncomfortable and they don’t eat well for a bit.