The journey into the abyss of no return

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
More power to you sticking to the real task. I would’ve done the “oh lookie shiny object” on those old bones and sidetracked to finding the rest! 🤣
This post just summed me up. Sometimes I think I have the attention span of a gnat. I jump from one project to another and another and another, then start more because I’m bored with the previous ones. Oh look! Something NEW!

Other times I’m focused and nothing gets in my way until I’m finished. Pretty sure I have ADD, daughter got tested and she is ADD. She’s scattered, then when the crunch is on, she buckles down and gets miraculous things done.

Dinosaur bones! Get them looked at, see what they are. They could be valuable and that money could be put to good use.

My son wants a well digging thing that hooks up to a tractor PTO. If done for agricultural use, no permits are required.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he gets one, I will pay him to dig me a new well. Our old one us probably on its way out. We have city water because the well got pitted a bit, leaching taste into the water from the soil. Good enough for the garden and livestock but I really want a new well eventually.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
That same backhoe is now 56 years old and will be used to put the track back on.
Was thinking you'd try that first (didn't realize or forgot you had the backhoe - it pays to have the right equipment and keep it in good condition). Hope it works that'll be faster than taking the tread apart.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The fermented water is the first thing that the pigs will slurp up . Save some of the water and whatever corn kernels stick to the bottom of the bucket to start the next batch. I poured off some water into the next bucket before feeding. As many pigs as you have, will probably take several buckets in morning and several at night. You will figure it out as you go. Three days fermentation is best. Pour in troughs in order not to waste the water. Use buttermilk to start first batch, after that just pour off some of the water for the next bucket. Have some extra buckets handy.

I made a heavy 2x10 trough and caulked the inside so it wouldn’t leak.

Buckets with lids can be acquired at doughnut shops, restaurants, etc.

What will you do with them once they reach slaughter size? If selling the meat, is there a USDA slaughter facility that you can use? If not, then a state inspected slaughter facility will do, but you have to sell the hog before slaughter. Take hog to slaughter as a customer service. State slaughter facilities can lose their license if you sell the meat after slaughter. The packages are stamped Not For Sale.

Ahem…… it’s a fine line. I “presold” hogs, when I took to slaughter this pig “belonged” to this person, that pig “belonged” to that person, and so on. I called the day after slaughter to get hanging weights, then called my customers and texted, to give them hanging weight, price per pound and total cost. Then we picked up the meat and delivered it, got paid upon delivery.

I did this even when using a USDA facility.

If slaughter facilities are backed up months out like they are here, you might need to book a date now. Start networking and promoting your product. You will have custom raised pork, a specialty meat, raised on buttermilk soured corn and boiled duck eggs. Raised outside in the sunshine with dirt for them to root in, and plenty of room, to satisfy their physiological needs. Not raised inside on slats over a lagoon of their own waste. Be sure to stress plenty of room, as pigs are naturally clean and will use a “potty” corner. I always told my customers that pigs don’t want to lay in their own poop any more than you do.

Corn will not supply lysine, which is an essential pig nutrient. Lysine is found in egg yolks. Enter-DUCK EGGS! Boil them and toss in, shell still on, twice a week. Talk about pandemonium! Then to load to take to slaughter, don’t feed day before. Back trailer up, open gate. Maybe make a run out of hog panels, tin, pallets or whatever you have. Crush boiled egg, drop at entrance, lead them to trailer with crushed eggs, big pile up in nose if trailer, slam gate shut.

Identify your market and tell your story. Take pictures of your pigs. Use social media, “X” or Instagram with semi weekly updates. Find those people who are interested in healthy meat from healthy happy animals that had a more natural life. Only one bad day and it’s not like they know where they are going.

Hogs will appreciate roughage also. If you don’t have a garden to feed them off of with fresh veggies, then you can give them hay. They will bed in it, but will eat it too.

I didn’t mean to write you a book, but you are a highly motivated guy. If you get started now, putting your product out there, you could build yourself a good meat business, with return customers. Sell by the half or whole pig.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, using a money app, take a non refundable deposit, to reserve “their” pig.
No less than $50, no more than $100.

Store bought pork is “the other white meat” and tastes like cardboard. Your pork won’t be a dark red meat like beef, but will be a deeper rose color and have plenty of flavor.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gee Whiz,,,, you needed this @Ridgetop all these years in CA... you won't need this much "vehicle" for the fairly flat land in TX..... :gig
Great buy for you @Sequestered Ridge Ranch ... the saved multiple trips will make it invaluable... and hopefully will be able to get around places that even a smaller 4x4 truck could not... It looks very low gravity centered which will be great... Yeah, you've got all those muscles going on, but it is not sensible to take as long to make trips back and forth to a "job" in the woods/hills/ravines like the thrown track, as it takes to do the job... 😉

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So true! LOL Flat land is looking better and better every day. Love the views of valley city lights, and mountains, but walking up and down those steep gully sides did our bodies no favors. Particularly carrying tools and pushing wheelbarrows of manure uphill out of the barn! DH and Baby 'Bota can clear the barn and pens in half the time and sit down while doing it! LOL