Wanting pygmy goats

KSpara

Just born
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! We live in city limits on the back side of neighborhood close to woods we have a decent good sized backyard. We currently have 4 hens, but I'm considering extending their pen to accommodate 2 goats (pygmy) and a good shed. We live in Kilgore, TX.
Question: can goats and chickens exist together? And in city limits can I have goats? Any advice on raising Goats for milk and making products?
1000008018.jpg
1000008019.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to check with your city zoning as to having goats on your property. Different everywhere 🙂 now you say pygmy -- cute size -- but not best if you want to milk and get enough to be worthwhile. Good luck on your ventures! Welcome to the forum.

KSpara

Just born
Reaction score
You need to check with your city zoning as to having goats on your property. Different everywhere 🙂 now you say pygmy -- cute size -- but not best if you want to milk and get enough to be worthwhile. Good luck on your ventures! Welcome to the forum.
What are some good ones to milk and raise?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nigerian dwarfs are small and if from good milk lines, good producers. Also, any of the "mini" breeds...Saanen or Nubian minis, which are sired by ND bucks, covering full size dairy does. Not all of them remain "mini", so kids bought may outgrow your plans. I just keep full sized ones on the farm.🙂

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your zoning and any association rules need to be explored first... they have made people with pet pigs get rid of them some places due to restrictions...
You will have to buy all their feed as they will devour everything there with as small amount of room you have for them.... not being negative... but they will eat it all and want more and you will be buying feed all the time...

What about rabbits? Meat and pelts and are caged... good manure for a garden or even for sales to others for gardens....

KSpara

Just born
Reaction score
Your zoning and any association rules need to be explored first... they have made people with pet pigs get rid of them some places due to restrictions...
You will have to buy all their feed as they will devour everything there with as small amount of room you have for them.... not being negative... but they will eat it all and want more and you will be buying feed all the time...

What about rabbits? Meat and pelts and are caged... good manure for a garden or even for sales to others for gardens....
I am allergic to their furr unfortunately. I love how soft they are and how they look. Otherwise I would!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do rex rabbits have a different type fur so that the pelt might not cause the same reaction? They have a pelt as opposed to having "hair"... sorta like the idea of poodles being "non-allergenic" compared to other breeds of dogs... it seems it is the dander in regular coats of "fur" (hair) that causes allergic reactions... I love the feel of the rex rabbit pelts, don't know if they would cause allergic reactions.
Understand that chickens have a dander and they can be very dusty in their environment... and if you are allergic to rabbits, you might have allergies to other animals....

KSpara

Just born
Reaction score
Do rex rabbits have a different type fur so that the pelt might not cause the same reaction? They have a pelt as opposed to having "hair"... sorta like the idea of poodles being "non-allergenic" compared to other breeds of dogs... it seems it is the dander in regular coats of "fur" (hair) that causes allergic reactions... I love the feel of the rex rabbit pelts, don't know if they would cause allergic reactions.
Understand that chickens have a dander and they can be very dusty in their environment... and if you are allergic to rabbits, you might have allergies to other animals....
Oh I do, just rabbits have the worst reaction besides cats or dogs. Longhaired cats are next to that for being worse. Zyrtec lol.
I will ck out Rex rabbits! No problems with my hens.
Thank you for the info!