Washing sheep

ranchwithaview

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am new to sheep, but it seems they are not normally washed. Mine are covered in some kind of sticky substance (insect residue?) that is on some of the tall grasses. I am wondering if it is a problem to leave it on them. Should I wash them or leave them be? Thank you.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some trees ooze a sap and they scrape against them but if it isn't bothering them (or you) you don't have to. I will occasionally hose down some of our sheep but normally I can just put them in a paddock that doesn't have a shelter and nature will do the washing. If I'm taking pictures for sales I will bathe some if they are that dirty but I try not to let them get that way.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

ranchwithaview

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Some trees ooze a sap and they scrape against them but if it isn't bothering them (or you) you don't have to. I will occasionally hose down some of our sheep but normally I can just put them in a paddock that doesn't have a shelter and nature will do the washing. If I'm taking pictures for sales I will bathe some if they are that dirty but I try not to let them get that way.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Thank you Mike. What do you do to keep your sheep from getting very dirty?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you Mike. What do you do to keep your sheep from getting very dirty?

I rarely have to do anything as the weather gets them clean. They have naturally occurring oils that protects them from both the elements and insects. Many of my sheep like to be brushed and from the way they move it apparently feels good to them. :)

ranchwithaview

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I rarely have to do anything as the weather gets them clean. They have naturally occurring oils that protects them from both the elements and insects. Many of my sheep like to be brushed and from the way they move it apparently feels good to them. :)
Oh good. I'll just wait for the rain. They don't seem to mind being dirty.
Mine love to be scratched and would probably enjoy being brushed. What kind of brush do you use?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just use a dog grooming brush that releases the hair with a push button on the top. It's usually humorous watching the dog and the sheep maneuvering for position near the brush. :)

ranchwithaview

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just use a dog grooming brush that releases the hair with a push button on the top. It's usually humorous watching the dog and the sheep maneuvering for position near the brush. :)

Haha, I can just imagine. My sheep are so much like dogs when it comes to getting their scratches.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use a rubber horse grooming brush and also an old boar bristle brush my Dad used to use to sweep off his work bench.

I've been wanting to mount up push broom heads onto the sides of their pens or gate frames so they can brush themselves more effectively.

ranchwithaview

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use a rubber horse grooming brush and also an old boar bristle brush my Dad used to use to sweep off his work bench.

I've been wanting to mount up push broom heads onto the sides of their pens or gate frames so they can brush themselves more effectively.

Good ideas. Thank you.