Young goat started nursing again off my milking doe

Jennifervass

Just born
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, my goat Buttercup gave birth to 2 lovely girls last spring. They both nursed for a solid 6 months but then weened themselves and I started milking Buttercup with my other dairy goat. A few months went by and now one of the twins have decided to nurse again. Would really struggle separate as the herd is so close and I would be worried that mom or baby would hurt themselves trying to get back to each other. Any other tricks to stop this little goat from suckling?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sell her... not being a smart a$$... but they need to be separated permanently. You also will run the risk of her continuing to suck when she becomes a mom also. Cows and goats and sheep have occasionally become "self-suckers".... or she will go around and steal from another goat and deprive their baby from milk...

Complete and permanent separation is the only answer... I don't think she ever completely weaned off the goat,,,you just never saw her stealing some.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, selling her stops it "right now". 👍

If you feel the need/desire to keep her as herd growth, you must separate her. Maybe her & her twin from the herd, until the mom is fully dried up. It's an option. I have to separate mine for that reason....or sell 🥴 since I cross meat buck onto dairy does it's an easier decision. Those kept are interspersed with the meat does for future meat goats breeder stock.

Dairy goats will allow nursing longer, where the meat breeds of goat are better to wean their young. Their bodies aren't designed to lactate the length of time of dairy breeds.

It's time to decide what you "want" from your herd.