Dog attacked ewe and lambs at lambing

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Morning update. Lamb is more active and still wanting to be with ewe of course but she continues to act the same, not wanting to be around lamb. Lamb does have a slight injury to ear tip and is scratching at it so letting me know she was also affected by this. Lamb is doing slight hops around but still not certain she is "normal". Regardless another day of same routine, still trying. Lamb nursing, peeing, pooing well. Same for ewe eating drinking and eating otherwise will, getting antibiotics and wounds look overall well.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the lamb was not normal you would have seen it by nw. The ewe is probably rejecting her due to the trauma. Sometimes ewes just reject their lambs for no reason. Sometimes they reject only one of a set of twins, other times they reject both. I would keep working with the ewe and hold her at least twice a day for lamb to nurse. I would give the ewe another chance at lambing next year. Then if she does not accept those lambs, I would send her to the sale yard. My sheep get 2 chances, then it is not worth the bother. Poor mothering can be hereditary.

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She was a great mother last year but totally understand given situation this year. Still trying. Been going out there every. 3-4 hours but am starting to get tired. It's hard to wrangle mom at 3am. Bought new lamb formula just in case. Still same here. Lamb more active but worried will getcold since not snuggling but eating great.

On lamb 1 ear is flopping and slight swollen. Slight hunch but getting around ok. Was worried because she doesn't make any sounds and was just slower but she's doing ok I think

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lamb formula

1gallon whole milk
1can evaporated milk
1 cup cultured buttermilk

Pour out 3 cups milk, pour in can of evaporated milk and buttermilk. Top off with reserved whole milk.

This gets expensive. You can buy whole milk cheaper at Dollar General or Family Dollar or Walmart.

Then mix half and half with milk replacement. You will have several gallon jugs of milk in refrigerator, write on them with black marker.

You can keep lamb and ewe together and gradually reduce the times you let lamb nurse, to dry up the ewe. Bottle feed until lamb is 8 weeks old. By keeping lamb with the ewe, she will start eating feed and hay and acting like a sheep. Give a bottle at 10:00 PM, and get a good nights rest. Go out in morning at 5 or 6 AM and keep on a day schedule.

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you. I wasn't planning on giving bottle yet but got it given we are going into holiday weekend. I mentioned to my daughter I was going to put coat on baby but didn't want to add to ewe rejecting her but at this point I will. It's 30s at night and lamb was resting in straw but now laying near gate entry and the breeze does worry me (gate is covered with tarp). Maybe I should do a bottle a night like mentioned though to get her through night, at least more than 3 hours .....
For daytime feeding/schedule, how often should I assist in feeding? Can you maybe give.an.ideal 24 hour schedule for this point? As I am helping ewe every 3-4 hours at this point and lamb belly is nice and full ...

Also why mix milk replacer with the formula provided above? Vs just milk replacer? I feel like both can get expensive. I've only done straight milk replacer in past.....

When do you think I should let ewe back with sheep on pasture? I wasn't planning on it for a while mainly because lamb will be out there like a lost baby....
If I do let them back out then I will put dog back up. I did let dog out yesterday for the afternoon with rest of flock and she was overall happy and well. She did find the other placenta which I threw away she didn't react poorly just wanted to lick. I also watched her to see if she was going to find any more parts or any more indication of anything but nothing seemed abnormal and she went otherwise back to being her normal self with the flock. As I mentioned before, and I double checked hows ewes were doing /progressing but doesn't seem like anyone's close to lambing for another few weeks.

Lastly I am giving ewe alfalfa twice a day And Bermuda hay free feed with some treats during day just to help keep her still. Should I continue with alfalfa? Given she isn't feeding 2 and is very full...

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm no expert in this like the others. At this point, with all the time you've been spending trying to get the two to bond without much success, I'd be turning the lamb into a bottle baby. You're tired and I'm sure frustrated - I know I would be. At least that way you could settle into an easier "lifestyle" for the moment and lessen the stress of wrangling the ewe and all. I'm sure bottle babies come with their own set of "issues", but that's what I would be doing rather than trying hard and hoping and praying for the best. You've tried, and tried hard, but the success has been limited at best. Be kind to yourself. :)

Latest posts