Dog attacked ewe and lambs at lambing

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think I will start with doing bottle at night and continue for a few days helping baby nurse during the day. To be honest I was also worried with little baby on her own in pasture more than anything and colder weather. Got her a warm onesie for tonight. Ewe is doing better handling the feedings as my daughter feeds her some animal crackers so it's not bad during the day...it's at night we struggle

Thanks for all the advice. This forum has been a lifesaver year after year as I learn more and more!!!! I wish I could send you all some holiday gifts....sending virtual thank you hugs!!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is your dog with little lambs?

I would leave ewe with lamb. Bottle feed at night and slowly drop day feeding on ewe, one feeding at a time. This will give her time to make less milk and avoid mastitis. Get down to once a day, for several days, then every other day, then quit. The lamb doesnā€™t know if she belongs to mom or you. Iā€™d just keep them together in the pen for awhile.

jambi1214

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Dog has not been with little lambs since she was a few months old. Last year she was seperate until they were prob 2 months old.

So how many feedings per day should I assist with at this point?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's hard to wrangle mom at 3am.
There is no need to feed the lamb during the night. Ewes will bed down overnight and get up in early morning to nurse lambs. Some of our ewes used to paw at their sleeping lambs at night to get up and nurse so the ewes could go to sleep themselves. LOL If you bottle feed, 3 x day will be enough. If you hold/tie/restrain ewe for nursing, 4x during day will be enough for another week or so, then reduce to 3x day feeding. If you supplement with bottle, do not be surprised if lamb prefers either ewe or bottle, not necessarily both. It depends on where the milk flows easier. You can sweeten the replacer with a little Karo syrup to encourage the lamb to take it. The Karo will also give a little energy to lamb.
I mentioned to my daughter I was going to put coat on baby but didn't want to add to ewe rejecting her but at this point I will.
Ewe will not normally reject lamb due to coat. In this case the ewe has already rejected baby so put on coat. Rub some of ewe's poop over coat to give it the ewe's smell. She will be less likely to reject again if it smells like her. Better to keep lamb warm. Do you have any way of hanging a heat lamp over the spot where the lamb likes to sleep? Hang it high up so ewe can't get to it. It will not warm the area that much, just take a little chill off under lamp. You can use a 100 watt incandescent bulb instead of heat lamp bulb. If tarp is not keeping wind out, put a couple bales of straw as a wind break.

bebezeek

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I pick up kids still wet, the attack is the issue. I'd keep her & lamb in small enclosure for a few days. Over today, be sure lamb is nursing. They should bond once ewe settles some. Keep lamb nursing her.