Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree @Mini Horses on the pressure canner... but I do very little and the "set it and forget it" is the biggest draw for me... and the fact that I can do small batches since I don't pressure can much... so decided it was worth the purchase price... took a little of the windfall on the calf prices and spent it on something that I might actually get some good use out of... want to can potatoes when I have the surplus...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, thought that I could maybe get some use out of the "fancy" pressure canner with sometimes having to go to do cow stuff last minute and all.... going to try it out on this chicken broth when it gets done getting cooked down some.

Had about .8 inch of rain in gauge and sun is trying to come out. It is a lighter "grey" out there than before.

Going to make lunch... might make a chicken sandwich or warm some up... got 2 meals left of that. Not overly nice out there so not going to do much outside.
Glad to have gotten that rain though.

Got a farm for Monday aft... cat goes in for spaying Tues and pick up later that eve, so testing another farm on Wed... they just texted me back.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have one 😕. Everyone says such good things but, my All American works great and I've pretty much found the "sweet spot" on my stove setting. Set it & forget it is the biggest draw on electric, it seems. For now, I'm saving my $ and listening. 🤣
My All American won’t fit on the back burner under the hood vent. There’s a big microwave over the stove and it’s too low. ☹️

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate that big microwave over the stove. I want a nice vent a hood, but somehow my money keeps going towards outside stuff, fence, sheep, sheep feed, dog food, recently-dirt, and will get more dirt. Next hole in my pocket will be barn materials. Don’t even have a garden, not canning…..eh.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
WELL.... should I say welcome back WINTER ???? It was a COLD 24 degrees out there and is only up to 38 at nearly 10 a.m..... BRRRRRR🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🌬️🌬️🌬️🌬️.

Sun is out but not going to be overly warm today....

Had a total of .8 of rain Friday night into Saturday. Strong breeze all Sat afternoon. Light breeze out there now, hope it doesn't get stronger. Have a graveside funeral to go to this afternoon for one of the previous owners of the stockyards, known them for the 40+ years I've lived here. DS is also going as he put alot of faith in the advice they used to give them and have known the "kids" all his life too.

Need to eat something and get something accomplished...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
10 pm... do you know where your ______ is???? I do know it is cold out there... 37 and dropping.

Temps got up to 50 on the recording thermometer... and it was breezy....chilly. Sun was out, but there was a bite to the air. Nothing like @Sequestered Ridge Ranch had in Montana and no snow...

Went to funeral... it was okay. Saw alot of people, some I knew by sight but not by name...which I am not good with.... Chilly but not too much wind. No food afterwards and we came home and DS went to farm and I went and fed calves at Snyder's.....
Deb called, she came out to farm for the week.... she got a 2 week notice from the division she works in, on the job she is doing, might be able to transfer to another area of the company, but she figured at that point, she was coming out to work from out here.... what's the worst they can do? Fire her? She is at a crossroads again... She also wants to get some trees cleaned up before the grass gets to growing too much... which it might do with the weather being warmer sooner. I think she just needs to be away from up there for a few days too. Needs some "outside chainsaw/farm stuff" kind of therapy. And another one came down the other day and broke 3 of 4 boards in the fence... at least it fell between the 2 posts... not a dead tree either...
We went out to supper this evening and sat and talked alot.

DS called when I got back here from feeding calves, and was ready to go meet her for supper... cow had a dead calf hanging out of her, he was getting her into the barn and might need me to come help... so I went back down to doug's barn. He and jim managed to get her out of the field and into the barn, and managed to use the calf jack and get it out... head and 1 foot, other one was back and impeding the process... but it smelled some... I think the calf was dead in her, and she finally was expelling it.. not alot of milk in udder. If my farmer has a bull calf for me tomorrow we will try to graft it on her. If not, we will just dry her up and put her back with the bull in June. She has a good solid mouth (plenty of good teeth) so not real old (8 yrs?) and raised a good calf last time... replacements are too expensive so won't cull her this time.
One of the sick steers died... 600+ lbs.... that really BITES.....:barnie :hitthe rest are looking better.
Everything is getting vaccinated when they get moved into/through the barn now... killed virus so will not cause them to get sick but help boost immunity.

Got to go feed some hay in the morning and then go to test. Will take the truck if there is a calf, or the car if not. I will know in the morning. Need to get another tray of bottles ready to take.

Deb has a cat carrier, so I can borrow that for Tuesday....didn't want to go buy one. She brought her cats out since she came out for the week. That worked out good.
Since she is out for the week, maybe we can get the brush pile burned on Thursday eve? Rain Wed into Thurs so ought to be wetter... will check on wind... get the hose all hooked up.... then I do not have to wait on DS to help. That would be wonderful .... then could get it plowed when it dries up/warms up a little; and ready for "final tilling" in a month or so. I do not get in too much of a rush for that.

There is a dealer listed for the Greenworks battery operated mowers and all , on the way to the farm to test Wed afternoon.... I am going to leave early enough to go by there... see if they have a riding mower I am thinking about... It would be really really nice to see one in person first...

Going to go in and get the bottles ready, and go to bed. Dropped another 2 degrees to 35; going to be chilly/COLD again this evening.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, 32-35 here tonight. COLD for us this time of year. That outer edge of the snow north of us, blowing cold air. Brrrrr 😕

Losing that steer 😞. It's a crap happens situation. A costly one! Calf, I'm with you, smell usually means died a while back. I'd shoot up with biotics and keep a watch... Then rebreed, like you say. Part of livestock life, sadly.

Last edited: