Sheep due soon!

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am totally freaking out! I thought I had a lot more time but turns out the time went by faster than I thought it would! I have 2 pregnant ewes who are due sometime next month. Came out a couple days ago to move/separate the ewes and ram when I noticed the udders were bigger. They are not very full but are a bit bigger and are showing more. One of them has had 2 ewe lambs before, but the other (one of her daughters) has not. I want to use them for milk so I don’t want to use any medications/antibiotic. Is there anything I need to know/have on hand? This is my first time! I have not had sheep before, but have tried to do YouTube sheep birthing collage! 😂

I will have a safe place for them, along with a clean stall. I also have iodine and will be ordering Lube and long gloves just incase. Anything else?

edit: I have had the sheep for only a little over a year.

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Take a deep breath, it will be ok. Their udders may fill up and look like soccer balls. Sounds like you are ready!
Thanks for the reassurance! I have become really fond of all four members of my little flock! I would be devastated if anything happened to them! I breed bunnies so I am very aware of the problems that can happen during labor. Just rabbits are a whole lot quicker and easier. Little to no help required!

LindyAcres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We had two first time ewe mom's last spring who handled the births like old pros. One was eating hay one minute then next thing I knew she had a little one she was licking clean. The other girl I noticed had started laying down and pushing so I was able to watch the whole process. Really amazing! They both took their time passing the placenta and I got nervous and called the vet. As I dialed the number there was the placenta both times! Sending good thoughts for your girls!! Mine are both getting full of milk and look ready to lamb again. Fingers crossed for all the ewes

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are planning to milk these sheep, you should get your milking items ready now.
Stanchion, stainless steel pail, strainer and filters, udder wash and teat dip are the main essentials. You should also have a California Mastitis Test kit on hand just in case. The sheep will be easier to milk if you start right after the lambs are born. You can download plans online to build a stanchion if you are handy and can use tools. Otherwise, you can go online and order one. The folding ones are nice. If your sheep need shearing, you can also order a sheep head piece and shear in the stanchion. Much easier than wrestling with a sheep on the ground. Also the best way to restrain them for hoof trimming, shots, etc.

What breed are they?

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We had two first time ewe mom's last spring who handled the births like old pros. One was eating hay one minute then next thing I knew she had a little one she was licking clean. The other girl I noticed had started laying down and pushing so I was able to watch the whole process. Really amazing! They both took their time passing the placenta and I got nervous and called the vet. As I dialed the number there was the placenta both times! Sending good thoughts for your girls!! Mine are both getting full of milk and look ready to lamb again. Fingers crossed for all the ewes
If you are planning to milk these sheep, you should get your milking items ready now.
Stanchion, stainless steel pail, strainer and filters, udder wash and teat dip are the main essentials. You should also have a California Mastitis Test kit on hand just in case. The sheep will be easier to milk if you start right after the lambs are born. You can download plans online to build a stanchion if you are handy and can use tools. Otherwise, you can go online and order one. The folding ones are nice. If your sheep need shearing, you can also order a sheep head piece and shear in the stanchion. Much easier than wrestling with a sheep on the ground. Also the best way to restrain them for hoof trimming, shots, etc.

What breed are they?
Thank you guys so much for replying! Good luck to your ewes as well!

I have some supplies ready. I have all the buckets needed and plan to make an udder was daily out of castlie soap and essential oils. Lots of people use that recipe and have had great success. I am trying to avoid any chemicals or antibiotics because I don’t want it in the milk. They are Katahdins. I am waiting for a good weekend to finish my milk stand and get started on the stalls. My dad is helping me build one. We started a year ago but then something happened and I guess my ewe did not get pregnant. Idk what happened. I am guessing I did not have them together at the right time. Hoof trimming has been a hassle without the stand tho!🤣 I end up covered head to toe in mud and hair!

I know Katahdins are not the best producers but I have 2 and I am not looking for a half gallon per ewe!

Any advice is welcome! I am trying to learn as much as possible about EVERYTHING sheep.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I milk goats, no sheep -- but sheep milk makes great cheese! I've seen some katahdin with nice udders.👍 Wishing you luck and hoping you'll share results.

Here my goat milk is used and I drink it raw, sell some also. Yeah, I'll cheer you on. 🤩

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I milk goats, no sheep -- but sheep milk makes great cheese! I've seen some katahdin with nice udders.👍 Wishing you luck and hoping you'll share results.

Here my goat milk is used and I drink it raw, sell some also. Yeah, I'll cheer you on. 🤩
I bought a pint of sheep milk and it was the best milk I have ever had! I could not get goats because I don’t have any fences. The sheep stay in premier 1 electric netting. I have some friends who have escape goats! One of them happens to be my neighbor! I will wake up to find a goat chowing down on my grass!