Urgent need of advice/help

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, how often should I be checking on Hot Lips now that her ligaments appear to have softened completely? Should I be staying with her?
Quietly watching s best. We had a doe who would stop her labor if we went to check on her. She was a dairy doe and we removed the kids, bottle fed, and milked her. I think she wanted to keep her babies to herself.

One year she had quad bucklings, and we let her keep 2 and DD1 raised the other 2 on bottles as a Science Fair project to see whether the dam raised or bottle raised kids gained better.

CrabbyGranny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Won't be long...just wait. That's usually the hardest part. Most often they kiss without issue. It's amazing!

ETA...just watch frequently, don't annoy her. When she's up & down within minutes, you'll know she's gonna push very soon. Hey, I love her name!😁
Crap! What do I do about cords and how much/long should mama bleed?

CrabbyGranny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Two

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 21

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you saying she has had kids and now has a cord hanging??? If so, how many?

If so, there will be some blood, after all they just broke the umbilical cord. Yes that crap hangs there a little while, she'll expell it, do not pull it. Having, them, their nursing...it all releases hormones to make her pass after birth. Usually that happens 30 min to a few hrs after kidding. Actual blood loss is minimal, although it looks worse. It might drip out 3 tablespoons, looking like 3 cups.

New experience. Don't panic.